CUPS + SLACKWARE oh yea !!!!!
So when my Windows XP computer at work shit the bed today, (yes,, this is a technical term created by myself for any computer which loses the power supply and motherboard at once.) I though that I was screwed,, not yet,,, I have been playing around with unix, primarily FreeBSD and Slackware and decided to go it alone with the slack box for a day or two until parts arrived. I was checking my email online, when it occurred to me that I needed to print out an email, and since I didn't have network printing installed, I thought I heard a toilet flushing in the background. NOT TO BE !!!!!
When I installed 10.1 Slackware on my puter I also had installed CUPS printing service thinking that sooner or later I would like to print.
===========================
My environment:
Windows 2000 servers (all) as network print servers
Slackware 10.1.. (crowd cheers.. same crowd from last posting... LOL)
===========================
Now, on with the fun..
First thing I did was check the /etc/rc.d file to see whether I had the rc.cups file there.Command: cd /etc/rc.d.. and yes, there was the rc.cups file installed. I did not need to add aditional packages for this to work as "slack" did this for me on install. So now it was to simply start the serivce by the following command:
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start -- by the way, I was doing this as root user..
Once cups starting the daemon which I tested using the "top" command to verify
this. I found out that the CUPS service also listens on port 631,. so it was a simple command as follow: http://localhost:631 and there is was in all its glory--- C-U-P-S.
Pretty simple from here just click on "Add Printer" , Name= Ip address of networked printer ( I am connecting to an HP laserjet 4050n printer ) so I simply put in the IP address of the jetdirect card which was prevoiously configured, then gave a location and desc if you want, click "continue" my default came to AppSocket/HP JetDirect, which means it did see the card on this IP address, so click on "continue" again, the next screen is the device URI screen which took me a sec to figure out, I used the socket://hostname to make a connection to the printer itself, so here you put in as follows>>> socket://ip-address-of-the-printer.
Next is simply the make and driver you want to use, I was VERY surprised at how many printers and drivers were listed for this and yes, the HP LaserJet 4050 drivers were listed for me to use without any additional configuration needed.
So, after a couple more "continues" I was prompted with the printer has been installed screen, I then clicked on the IP address of the printer to view this page.
You can then delete, modify, start, stop, and more here, I printed a test page to make sure everything worked.
From a total Windows guy, I was impressed with the ease of use this was to setup and configure, (about 3 minutes total ), anyway, you might have different circumstances than myself concerning installation and configuration of network printing within a windows 2000 environment, by the way I also DID NOT have the printing for Unix services installed on the Windows 2000 server to make this work. A nice article for viewing is http://www.userlocal.com/articles/slackwarecups.php, should you need further help.
So there it is,
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !!!
biz
When I installed 10.1 Slackware on my puter I also had installed CUPS printing service thinking that sooner or later I would like to print.
===========================
My environment:
Windows 2000 servers (all) as network print servers
Slackware 10.1.. (crowd cheers.. same crowd from last posting... LOL)
===========================
Now, on with the fun..
First thing I did was check the /etc/rc.d file to see whether I had the rc.cups file there.Command: cd /etc/rc.d.. and yes, there was the rc.cups file installed. I did not need to add aditional packages for this to work as "slack" did this for me on install. So now it was to simply start the serivce by the following command:
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start -- by the way, I was doing this as root user..
Once cups starting the daemon which I tested using the "top" command to verify
this. I found out that the CUPS service also listens on port 631,. so it was a simple command as follow: http://localhost:631 and there is was in all its glory--- C-U-P-S.
Pretty simple from here just click on "Add Printer" , Name= Ip address of networked printer ( I am connecting to an HP laserjet 4050n printer ) so I simply put in the IP address of the jetdirect card which was prevoiously configured, then gave a location and desc if you want, click "continue" my default came to AppSocket/HP JetDirect, which means it did see the card on this IP address, so click on "continue" again, the next screen is the device URI screen which took me a sec to figure out, I used the socket://hostname to make a connection to the printer itself, so here you put in as follows>>> socket://ip-address-of-the-printer.
Next is simply the make and driver you want to use, I was VERY surprised at how many printers and drivers were listed for this and yes, the HP LaserJet 4050 drivers were listed for me to use without any additional configuration needed.
So, after a couple more "continues" I was prompted with the printer has been installed screen, I then clicked on the IP address of the printer to view this page.
You can then delete, modify, start, stop, and more here, I printed a test page to make sure everything worked.
From a total Windows guy, I was impressed with the ease of use this was to setup and configure, (about 3 minutes total ), anyway, you might have different circumstances than myself concerning installation and configuration of network printing within a windows 2000 environment, by the way I also DID NOT have the printing for Unix services installed on the Windows 2000 server to make this work. A nice article for viewing is http://www.userlocal.com/articles/slackwarecups.php, should you need further help.
So there it is,
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !!!
biz
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home