File Sharing + Rdesktop + Slackware + Windows XP
Well, it has been a little while now since my last post so I thought that I would continue to fight the good fight and come up with another nice little "hack" (I guess you could call it that), which I came across the other day.
Sooooo, for some time now I have wanted to find a quick and painless way to do file sharing between my XP box ( please don't boo me ) and my Slackware ( crowd cheers ) box at work, so this is what I found out how to do.
==============================================
My environment:
Slackware box 10.1 running on Dell Optiplex 110
Windows XP SP1 running on Dell GX270
==============================================
So the first thing I did was to download the lates version of remote desktop software for Linux which is rdesktop from http://www.rdesktop.org and stable version 1.4.1 as of 6-15-05, which I downloaded to my /usr/downloads/software/rdesktop directory which was created earlier.
If you are not sure about creating directories like this in linux the command is: mkdir -p /usr/downloads/software/rdesktop the "-p" command will make all the directories inside of one another...
Now back to the fun,
Once this was done downloading into the directory as a .GZ file I simply changed directory into this file: cd /usr/downloads/software/rdesktop
Inside was the file I downloaded in gz format then I simpy ran the tar command to "unzip this"
tar -xvzf rdesktop-1.4.1.tar.gz to unzip the file into it's own folder rdesktop-1.4.1
then simply change directories into this: cd rdesktop-1.4.1
Once inside this directory you will see other files and folders, such as "configure"
I then ran this command to compile before running the make and make install.
So my next command was the following: ./configure --prefix=/usr
WHoaaa,, what the hell was that... ( I would like to thank John Hass of Thinix.com for cluing me in on this one ). Basically tells the program to configure to your current usr environment, since this program may have been created and compiled with another version of Linux, or possibly a different kernel than my own. Now I can simply run the make command, and when this has finished, then I do a make install command to complete the install of rdesktop, barring no errors which occur you now should have remote desktop software installed on your Linux -- Slackware--( crowd cheers again ) box...
I will tell you that on my Windows XP box I do have the "allow this computer to be remote controlled fuction enabled" to do this "right click" on My Computer and then "Properties" click on the Remote tab and then check the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" I will also be logging in as local administrator with my username and password ( NO YOU CANT HAVE THIS INFORMATION) hahaha...
So anyway, now I can run this command from my Slackware box to the Windows XP by running the following command:
rdesktop -g 75% -r disk:linux=/home/USER/rdesktop_shares -u ddavis 10.200.1.19
this is the EXACT command which I had to run to make this work>>> I will now break this down..
rdesktop , runs the program to make the connection on port 3389 which my XP box is now listening on
-g 75% is the screen size in percent of the total desktop, so I will basically create a terminal winodow which will be 75% of my total desktop space, you can also use a -f here for FULL SCREEN if desired.
-r disk you can enable specific device redirection, in this case a mapped drive.
linux>> this is the shared drive name which will appear under My Comupter as a mapped drive
=/home/USER/redesktop_shares is the directory I created on my Slackware box using the command: mkdir -p /home/USER/redesktop_shares
-u ddavis is the username I will connect as
10.200.1.19 the IP address of my Windows XP box.
You should be prompted at a Windows sign on screen for your password, once typed in you will then "lock out" the XP computer and should be taken to the current desktop.
Simply "drag and drop" or you can copy files and programs into the "linux" drive which will then show up within the Slackware directory you have created earlier.
I need to also give "props" to another web article explaining this in more detail, however I have not come across this again when "googling" for it. So, thanks for the person I can not remember for posting this on a website I can no longer find... ( funni )..
Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....
biz
Sooooo, for some time now I have wanted to find a quick and painless way to do file sharing between my XP box ( please don't boo me ) and my Slackware ( crowd cheers ) box at work, so this is what I found out how to do.
==============================================
My environment:
Slackware box 10.1 running on Dell Optiplex 110
Windows XP SP1 running on Dell GX270
==============================================
So the first thing I did was to download the lates version of remote desktop software for Linux which is rdesktop from http://www.rdesktop.org and stable version 1.4.1 as of 6-15-05, which I downloaded to my /usr/downloads/software/rdesktop directory which was created earlier.
If you are not sure about creating directories like this in linux the command is: mkdir -p /usr/downloads/software/rdesktop the "-p" command will make all the directories inside of one another...
Now back to the fun,
Once this was done downloading into the directory as a .GZ file I simply changed directory into this file: cd /usr/downloads/software/rdesktop
Inside was the file I downloaded in gz format then I simpy ran the tar command to "unzip this"
tar -xvzf rdesktop-1.4.1.tar.gz to unzip the file into it's own folder rdesktop-1.4.1
then simply change directories into this: cd rdesktop-1.4.1
Once inside this directory you will see other files and folders, such as "configure"
I then ran this command to compile before running the make and make install.
So my next command was the following: ./configure --prefix=/usr
WHoaaa,, what the hell was that... ( I would like to thank John Hass of Thinix.com for cluing me in on this one ). Basically tells the program to configure to your current usr environment, since this program may have been created and compiled with another version of Linux, or possibly a different kernel than my own. Now I can simply run the make command, and when this has finished, then I do a make install command to complete the install of rdesktop, barring no errors which occur you now should have remote desktop software installed on your Linux -- Slackware--( crowd cheers again ) box...
I will tell you that on my Windows XP box I do have the "allow this computer to be remote controlled fuction enabled" to do this "right click" on My Computer and then "Properties" click on the Remote tab and then check the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" I will also be logging in as local administrator with my username and password ( NO YOU CANT HAVE THIS INFORMATION) hahaha...
So anyway, now I can run this command from my Slackware box to the Windows XP by running the following command:
rdesktop -g 75% -r disk:linux=/home/USER/rdesktop_shares -u ddavis 10.200.1.19
this is the EXACT command which I had to run to make this work>>> I will now break this down..
rdesktop , runs the program to make the connection on port 3389 which my XP box is now listening on
-g 75% is the screen size in percent of the total desktop, so I will basically create a terminal winodow which will be 75% of my total desktop space, you can also use a -f here for FULL SCREEN if desired.
-r disk you can enable specific device redirection, in this case a mapped drive.
linux>> this is the shared drive name which will appear under My Comupter as a mapped drive
=/home/USER/redesktop_shares is the directory I created on my Slackware box using the command: mkdir -p /home/USER/redesktop_shares
-u ddavis is the username I will connect as
10.200.1.19 the IP address of my Windows XP box.
You should be prompted at a Windows sign on screen for your password, once typed in you will then "lock out" the XP computer and should be taken to the current desktop.
Simply "drag and drop" or you can copy files and programs into the "linux" drive which will then show up within the Slackware directory you have created earlier.
I need to also give "props" to another web article explaining this in more detail, however I have not come across this again when "googling" for it. So, thanks for the person I can not remember for posting this on a website I can no longer find... ( funni )..
Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....
biz
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home