PHPMyAdmin almost kicked my ASS !!!
So first off I need to give another HUGE shout out to John Hass of Thinix.com for getting me through the hard parts of PHP on slackware.. I pretty much was about 80% completed but still needed a little assisstance to get over the mole hill. You can check out his blog on the side linked to "The Chronicles of Me"... and also the website Thinix.com which thinix, a thin client is his work in progress...
Now off to the show...
I have a slack box with Apache, Samba, Cups and MySql installed and I had already installed mysql and got this up and running, ( I will not go through all the setup, install , and configuration here, there are MANY great sites with this information in it pertaining to this subject, which I did find and follow to get mysql configured, this was installed when I first installed Slack from CD.
I also will not get into installing Apache and configuring the httpd.conf file associated with this as well.
=================================================
First thing I did was go and download the latest version of PHPMyAdmin to a folder on my puter and then ran tar -xvzf phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-pl1.tar.gz (this was the latest version as of this article) which extracted the files into another directory called phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-pl1. I then cd to this directory and went through the documentation on this.
I then created a folder within the www/htdocs directory called phpmyadmin,,like this
cd /var/www/htdocs
mkdir phpmyadmin
then copied all the files inside the phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-pl1 into the directory of phpmyadmin which I just created, using the following cp -r * /var/www/htdocs/phpmyadmin.
Once all the files were copied into this directory I then went about editing my config.inc.php file to add the password needed to access mysql running on the local computer. This was done on the following file
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ' insert pass here'; // MySQL password
Once this was done I did a Ctrl O to save and Ctrl X to exit ( I use pico by the way for editing ).
Then All my shit broke,, but I did a little troubleshooting and with John's help was up and running in about 15 minutes.
What I didnt do was edit my httpd.conf file in the /etc/apache directory and uncomment the following>>
Include /etc/apache/mod_php.conf
this was commented out and did not allow my index.php file to run
I also needed to add the following as well >> the index.php part into this....
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
Another thing worth mentioning here was that I went out and downloaded and installed the latest version of PHP which was 5.x.x.x (something like that) however slackware does come with php and I did a pkgtool command and then view to see if this was currently installed... which it was,, I think that the version 5 I had installed was also breaking the version 4... so I did a removepkg php within the directory which I had untarred the php file and also where I ran the make and make install command..
I then grabbed my Slackware 10.1 disk one cd ( crowd cheers ) damn ,, they're back.... (see previous posts on this blog) and mounted the cd rom ( sounds sexy !!!) anyway this was done with
mount /mnt/cdrom...
then changed directories to the N cd n,, and did a search for ls php, which showed which version was there, I then did a installpkg php-4/3/10-i486-1.tgz which installed php ....
I then had to go back in and re-edit the config.inc.php file within the phpmyadmin folder because this was overridded by defaults when php version 4 was installed....
That was pretty much it...
I needed to restart apache a couple of time within the troubleshooting efforts, by running the following commands
/usr/sbin/apachectl stop and /usr/sbin/apachectl start...
I also used the following
netstat -tna to see if the computer was listening on port 80
and
ps -ax | grep httpd
to get an output to check apapche and web services were running as well.
then I simply typed the following inot a URL address>>
http://localhost or ip whichever your apache is configured to use/phpmyadmin/index.php
and there it was,,, PHPMYADIM screen, so yeah, when all was said and done, I did need to make a few adjustments and a little help from John,, phpmyadmin didn't totally kick my ass, maybe just a little to brag to his friends about, but as a NOOB,, I can still hold my head high......
That's my story and I am sticking to it..
biz
Now off to the show...
I have a slack box with Apache, Samba, Cups and MySql installed and I had already installed mysql and got this up and running, ( I will not go through all the setup, install , and configuration here, there are MANY great sites with this information in it pertaining to this subject, which I did find and follow to get mysql configured, this was installed when I first installed Slack from CD.
I also will not get into installing Apache and configuring the httpd.conf file associated with this as well.
=================================================
First thing I did was go and download the latest version of PHPMyAdmin to a folder on my puter and then ran tar -xvzf phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-pl1.tar.gz (this was the latest version as of this article) which extracted the files into another directory called phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-pl1. I then cd to this directory and went through the documentation on this.
I then created a folder within the www/htdocs directory called phpmyadmin,,like this
cd /var/www/htdocs
mkdir phpmyadmin
then copied all the files inside the phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-pl1 into the directory of phpmyadmin which I just created, using the following cp -r * /var/www/htdocs/phpmyadmin.
Once all the files were copied into this directory I then went about editing my config.inc.php file to add the password needed to access mysql running on the local computer. This was done on the following file
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ' insert pass here'; // MySQL password
Once this was done I did a Ctrl O to save and Ctrl X to exit ( I use pico by the way for editing ).
Then All my shit broke,, but I did a little troubleshooting and with John's help was up and running in about 15 minutes.
What I didnt do was edit my httpd.conf file in the /etc/apache directory and uncomment the following>>
Include /etc/apache/mod_php.conf
this was commented out and did not allow my index.php file to run
I also needed to add the following as well >> the index.php part into this....
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
Another thing worth mentioning here was that I went out and downloaded and installed the latest version of PHP which was 5.x.x.x (something like that) however slackware does come with php and I did a pkgtool command and then view to see if this was currently installed... which it was,, I think that the version 5 I had installed was also breaking the version 4... so I did a removepkg php within the directory which I had untarred the php file and also where I ran the make and make install command..
I then grabbed my Slackware 10.1 disk one cd ( crowd cheers ) damn ,, they're back.... (see previous posts on this blog) and mounted the cd rom ( sounds sexy !!!) anyway this was done with
mount /mnt/cdrom...
then changed directories to the N cd n,, and did a search for ls php, which showed which version was there, I then did a installpkg php-4/3/10-i486-1.tgz which installed php ....
I then had to go back in and re-edit the config.inc.php file within the phpmyadmin folder because this was overridded by defaults when php version 4 was installed....
That was pretty much it...
I needed to restart apache a couple of time within the troubleshooting efforts, by running the following commands
/usr/sbin/apachectl stop and /usr/sbin/apachectl start...
I also used the following
netstat -tna to see if the computer was listening on port 80
and
ps -ax | grep httpd
to get an output to check apapche and web services were running as well.
then I simply typed the following inot a URL address>>
http://localhost or ip whichever your apache is configured to use/phpmyadmin/index.php
and there it was,,, PHPMYADIM screen, so yeah, when all was said and done, I did need to make a few adjustments and a little help from John,, phpmyadmin didn't totally kick my ass, maybe just a little to brag to his friends about, but as a NOOB,, I can still hold my head high......
That's my story and I am sticking to it..
biz
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home