How to configure VMware scsi pass through for Tape Drive to work in virtual environment
So..
I am trying to install a Dell LTO-4 Tape Drive and have this working with a virtual machine which is being hosted on a Dell PowerEdge R710 server. After a few attempts to get this working correctly, I have finally achieved a correct setup / config of devices in finding a solution that works for me. Your environment may be different than what I have posted here, but you might be able to glean some information here to help you out.
Components:
Dell R710 Server booting from embedded SD card VMware ESXi 4.1 update 1
Dell SAS 5 /E PCIe card
Dell LTO-4 Tape Drive
External SAS cable
Double Take Backup software version 5.3.1.593.0
Symantec 2010 Version 13.0 Rev. 2896 (64 bit) Installed updates Service Pack 1 Hotfixes applied: 358409, 354875, 138449, 354913, 141686, 153396, 162860 to Symantec software via Live Updates, I also rebooted the server after installing each of these.
Current Setup:
Server is running VMware hypervisor 4.1 update 1 and I am using vSphere client to access this remotely for administration / config, setup of virtual machines as needed. I have one virtual machine setup, running Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit with all service packs and updates applied. I am using Double Take software to copy data from source servers to this repository server (Backup server) I will then use Symantec to migrate data from a folder directory onto tape drive for offsite purposes.
After much trial and error, the following scenario was implemented and is currently working.
From the vSphere Client software
Power off / shutdown all running virtual machines
Select Host ( IP address) > Right Click > enter maintenance mode > this will need to be done first so you are rooted to the server itself
With Host still selected > Click on Configuration Tab > Under Hardware > Advanced Settings > Right hand side of window > Edit
This will bring up another window for “Mark Devices for Passthrough”
I had to scroll down towards the bottom and Select 07:08:0 | LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Dell SAS 5/E Adapter. ( This addressing will probably be different for each server ) This was how mine was displayed.
Once this is selected and Click on OK > You will be prompted to reboot the server for these changes to take effect.
Reboot server.
After Server reboot, take Host back out of Maintenance mode.
Leave the virtual machine (Backup server) Powered down so you can edit settings
Right Click on virtual machine (Backup server in my scenario) and select Edit Settings.
From the Hardware Tab > Add > PCI Device ( this may not have been an option prior to do the above mentioned steps)
Select PCI device and then next, this should add this into your vm, when finished, power up vm (Backup server)
Once VM is powered back on, go into device manager and verify your storage controller under Device Manager.
The Dell LTO-4 tape drive I am using also displayed under Tape Drives selection. This may show up as an IBM drive, however once Symantec software is installed, this will install Symantec device drivers for the Tape Drive.
My final description under Tape Devices > LTO Tape Drive.
If this does not show / display correctly either for the adapter card or tape drive, Dell support > Download drivers for your operating system.
The reason you may need to do this , now you are passing the devices directly to the virtual server itself and the host hardware does not see these as being installed locally. I believe this was my first issue with trying to pass commands from the backup software across the host server hardware and this was not working correctly. When I changed my install routine for this and setup as pass through hardware, then I was able to use Dell SAS 5 /e and LTO -4 tape drives correctly.
biz
I am trying to install a Dell LTO-4 Tape Drive and have this working with a virtual machine which is being hosted on a Dell PowerEdge R710 server. After a few attempts to get this working correctly, I have finally achieved a correct setup / config of devices in finding a solution that works for me. Your environment may be different than what I have posted here, but you might be able to glean some information here to help you out.
Components:
Dell R710 Server booting from embedded SD card VMware ESXi 4.1 update 1
Dell SAS 5 /E PCIe card
Dell LTO-4 Tape Drive
External SAS cable
Double Take Backup software version 5.3.1.593.0
Symantec 2010 Version 13.0 Rev. 2896 (64 bit) Installed updates Service Pack 1 Hotfixes applied: 358409, 354875, 138449, 354913, 141686, 153396, 162860 to Symantec software via Live Updates, I also rebooted the server after installing each of these.
Current Setup:
Server is running VMware hypervisor 4.1 update 1 and I am using vSphere client to access this remotely for administration / config, setup of virtual machines as needed. I have one virtual machine setup, running Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit with all service packs and updates applied. I am using Double Take software to copy data from source servers to this repository server (Backup server) I will then use Symantec to migrate data from a folder directory onto tape drive for offsite purposes.
After much trial and error, the following scenario was implemented and is currently working.
From the vSphere Client software
Power off / shutdown all running virtual machines
Select Host ( IP address) > Right Click > enter maintenance mode > this will need to be done first so you are rooted to the server itself
With Host still selected > Click on Configuration Tab > Under Hardware > Advanced Settings > Right hand side of window > Edit
This will bring up another window for “Mark Devices for Passthrough”
I had to scroll down towards the bottom and Select 07:08:0 | LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Dell SAS 5/E Adapter. ( This addressing will probably be different for each server ) This was how mine was displayed.
Once this is selected and Click on OK > You will be prompted to reboot the server for these changes to take effect.
Reboot server.
After Server reboot, take Host back out of Maintenance mode.
Leave the virtual machine (Backup server) Powered down so you can edit settings
Right Click on virtual machine (Backup server in my scenario) and select Edit Settings.
From the Hardware Tab > Add > PCI Device ( this may not have been an option prior to do the above mentioned steps)
Select PCI device and then next, this should add this into your vm, when finished, power up vm (Backup server)
Once VM is powered back on, go into device manager and verify your storage controller under Device Manager.
The Dell LTO-4 tape drive I am using also displayed under Tape Drives selection. This may show up as an IBM drive, however once Symantec software is installed, this will install Symantec device drivers for the Tape Drive.
My final description under Tape Devices > LTO Tape Drive.
If this does not show / display correctly either for the adapter card or tape drive, Dell support > Download drivers for your operating system.
The reason you may need to do this , now you are passing the devices directly to the virtual server itself and the host hardware does not see these as being installed locally. I believe this was my first issue with trying to pass commands from the backup software across the host server hardware and this was not working correctly. When I changed my install routine for this and setup as pass through hardware, then I was able to use Dell SAS 5 /e and LTO -4 tape drives correctly.
biz

1 Comments:
Nice work.
Post a Comment
<< Home