Friday, June 26, 2020

Dell Precision 5820 Boot Loop KB4497165

Here is my tale of Microsoft's KB4497165 - Windows Updates and how this basically broke my Dell Precision 5820 in the process - Oh - and I fixed the printing issues with MS KB 4560960.

We first started experiencing issues with our network printers ( Ricoh ) not working across a few computers at work. I quickly discovered that MicroDouche release a windows update that broke the printer drivers on these windows 10 computers - there is a fix for this on the Microsoft Catalog Website  http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx. 
I did a quick search online and the fix is to install KB4567512 for your correct operating system for either Windows 10 or Windows Server - if you are not sure what version of Windows you are running simply open up the "run" command window and type:  winver

My system is Windows 10 release 1909 so I found the appropriate fix and installed this. However when I wanted to test this prior to rolling out the fix to other computers, there was also another KB waiting to download and install also,, the dreaded KB4497165, which includes intel microcode updates for your CPU.. YEA !!

Until it breaks your computer.. BOOO !!

After going through the regular install and asked for a simple.. "Restart Now" I lazily selected this and sent my Precision to the 7 level of internet hell.. literally.

Now I was faced with a constant Dell white logo and rebooting again, and again, and again, and.. .well, you know the rest.  Anywho.. this is what I needed to do to fix this.

Find a Windows 10 boot media - either usb or cd,, dvd, I am not going to go through all of that - there are plenty of great internet articles on how to make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 installer. MAKE ONE OF THESE AND KEEP WITH YOU !! 
Disclaimer: do the following at your own risk ! I cannot / will not take responsibility for you "bricking" you pc.

But I digress

I booted my Precision 5820 with the USB boot media, pounded the F12 key to get into the boot manager options - My Precision was set to UEFI for a boot manager, do not change this in the bios before attempting to fix your pc as this is needed to stay the same for the following to work. In other words, just leave the bios settings as they are.. Boot the UEFI usb drive - in my case was - UEFI SANDISK
Once booted I tried to do the "Exit and return to Windows" - that didnt work.. back to the boot loop
Booted again with the USB drive after F12 - this time I selected Trouble Shoot your PC - Command Prompt option and ran the following  --

 This is where I need to stop and give a HUGE shout out to John Hass of Advanced Networking Professionals http://getanp.com  - he was truly a massive help during this. This guy is a friggin genius and if you are looking for a truly awesome managed service provider,, I suggest you check them out.. Super Guys.. Super Smart !!


Anyway at the command prompt
X:\Sources   this is what was displayed
Ran the following
# wmic logicaldisk get caption  - this will list all the drives on your computer.. make sure you see C: listed otherwise, you may need to load drivers again.
My C: was listed
# C:   hit return to get me into the C drive
#move C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\windows -- since my computer was stuck in the boot loop while trying to install the KB4497165 - which includes the intel microcode for CPU, this was always looking at the pending install file for updates, with this moved, it should bypass this.
Just for note - I rebooted the computer again and did the exact same commands again - this time I received the message - Error : File Not Found - which means the pending.xml file was not recreated -
When I rebooted the computer again I still only got to the Dell White screen over and over.. Seriously -- WTF -- so I booted with the USB drive again - this time I did a repair sequence and then after another reboot.. windows update came up and listed as 100 % completed. This then did a reboot -- again Dell White Logo - then again - Dell White Logo - but this time the spinning circle dots so I knew I was going to get back the desktop and login again.
Once I got back to the desktop I installed the Printer Fix KB4567512 - and upon reboot I still got the two Dell white logos - the second getting the little circles for a boot to the desktop -
Now that I was able to log back in again - I went to support.dell.com and did a search for BIOS updates for my computer,, low and behold,, there it was - An URGENT update listed on 6 23 2020. that was 3 DAYS AGO FROM MY ISSUE !!!  And yet there were no postings online, nothing from MicroSux about the intel micro code and affecting Dell Precision Workstations - I figured I would write this article out so that maybe it would help someone else in need.
What I did
Already had a Windows Media Boot USB
Boot Computer with USB drive via F12 - boot manager
Tried Exit to Windows -- boot loop
Boot computer with USB Drive via F12 - boot manager
TroubleShoot PC
Command Prompt
#X:\Sources
#wmic logicaldisk get captions  - enter
C:
D:
E:
F:
X:
#C:   - enter
#C:\   move C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\
1 file(s) moved
rebooted and did this command twice
This time  Error: no file found
Rebooted - still boot loop
Boot with USB drive via F12
Repair PC -
#Attempting to Repair PC
Rebooted with White Dell Logo
Second Dell logo with the spinning circles
Able to access desktop now
Installed KB4567512 to resolve the Printing issues
Reboot
Back to Desktop after two dell logos
Support.dell.com to search for BIOS udpate
Downloaded and installed updated Bios
Reboot
Two Dell logos and back to desktop

By the way, after the bios update, I have a much noticed speed improvement on my computer.

Sooooo.. that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Biz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home