SonicWall Allow Ping on WAN Interface from Specific External IP Address
What I am trying to accomplish:
Allow pings requests and responses from the external ip addresses of remote located SonicWalls from only my designated static external ip address.
I did a little research on this.. and found the following: When logging into a remote SonicWall > Network> Interfaces > Selecting X1 WAN > configure. This would bring up the config page and I could select the option to allow ping from the Management. I would select this option to allow ping responses from the WAN address of this device, however, this would also allow pinging from EVERYONE as well, which is what I DID NOT WANT to have happen.
Resolution:
After you select this option to allow ping on the WAN interface, this will automatically create a rule from within the Firewall > Access Rules >
You will see something like the following:
WAN > WAN ANY All X1 Management IP Ping Allow
You can then edit this rule by selecting the "pencil" icon.
Most of the selections will be "greyed" out and you cannot edit these, but you can edit the Source and change this from ANY. From here I created a new Address Object of "My EXT IP Address at my location" and set this instead of the default ANY. Once saved to the SonicWall, I could then get ping responses from my remote location, but when testing outside my network, this would NOT RESPOND to ping request.
Hope this helps someone...
biz
Allow pings requests and responses from the external ip addresses of remote located SonicWalls from only my designated static external ip address.
I did a little research on this.. and found the following: When logging into a remote SonicWall > Network> Interfaces > Selecting X1 WAN > configure. This would bring up the config page and I could select the option to allow ping from the Management. I would select this option to allow ping responses from the WAN address of this device, however, this would also allow pinging from EVERYONE as well, which is what I DID NOT WANT to have happen.
Resolution:
After you select this option to allow ping on the WAN interface, this will automatically create a rule from within the Firewall > Access Rules >
You will see something like the following:
WAN > WAN ANY All X1 Management IP Ping Allow
You can then edit this rule by selecting the "pencil" icon.
Most of the selections will be "greyed" out and you cannot edit these, but you can edit the Source and change this from ANY. From here I created a new Address Object of "My EXT IP Address at my location" and set this instead of the default ANY. Once saved to the SonicWall, I could then get ping responses from my remote location, but when testing outside my network, this would NOT RESPOND to ping request.
Hope this helps someone...
biz

2 Comments:
This was extremely helpful.
Thank you
Adam
Thanks,, havent kept up on my tech "howtos" as much as I should.. glad to have helped.
Post a Comment
<< Home